About Us

Home / About Us

St Brigid serving community for over 90 years

St. Brigid is overseen by the Josephite Fathers and Brothers, a Catholic order whose primary work is ministering to African American communities.  Officially called Saint Joseph’s Society of the Sacred Heart (S.S.J.), there were formed in 1871 to meet the needs of newly freed people after the Civil War and continue to operate in communities throughout the United States.

In 1920, St. Brigid was established and celebrated its first Mass in a small rented house on West 51st Street.  Three years later, a combination church and school was erected and followed soon by the construction of the present rectory.  The church edifice was built in 1953 and a school in 1960.